Pages

Tuesday 11 May 2010

Magpie At Reddish Vale

I, unlike most folks like these and think they get a bad press, Magpies are jacks of all trades and can be all of the following.... scavengers, predators and destroyers of pest. Some can be arrogant and cocky.... tormenting the local cats. almost challenging them to come near. Some think these are the main reason our song birds and sparrows have declined.. yes I've seen these raiding nests for eggs and young.... but I see far more cats killing birds than these.


When seen close-up its black plumage takes on a far more colourful hue with a purplish-blue iridescent sheen to the wing feathers, and a green glossy to tail... these colours, plus the black and white make for a stunning looking bird. There is a pair of these nesting just up the road from me... I watch them daily going about their business.. and can sit and watch them and their antics all day. Stop by tomorrow and I'll show you the female Magpie that as taken to stopping by my garden of late

Reddish Vale
HERE

4 comments:

Darla said...

Beautiful bird though!

Becca's Dirt said...

It's a beautiful bird.

imac said...

Ah, Jack the lad, nice shots my friend.

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Gorgeous bird. Our magpies are not as pretty. They are black and white with a large beak. Spring in Australia is magpie season, when a small minority of breeding magpies (almost always males) around the country become aggressive and swoop and attack those who approach their nests, especially bike riders. Yours sound very friendly, are they?