Pages

Monday 12 April 2010

Small Roof Top Statue



I first became aware of this statue when I was around 11 or 12, it is on the corner of a roof on a building in Hyde town center. I do not know the story about why it is there, or what the shop was originally. I do not even know who this chap with the club might be. Feel free to offer any information or thoughts. The building is now a restaurant but it is a part of the town that as the oldest building in it. I was in Hyde on Sunday having an eye test... seems I need stronger glasses... all this staring at blogs is taking its toll. :O)

8 comments:

imac said...

I think the story goes like this = Once upon a time there was this cave man, who fancied this beautiful young lady, so he made a stone club and went hunting, he found this young lady by the river, so he went up to her and said "you Wom, Me Tig, we get together and make some Wiggles. --- or something like that.

lol.

Tom said...

That will do for me... both of us have had a good chuckle at that I can tell you.

Lew said...

Possibly the hunter after some meat for the kitchen?

Dimple said...

I like imac's version, but I can't help trying to figure out what he is looking at, and what he is holding down.

Patty said...

I'm anxious to hear about the statue myself. He looks like a cave man with that club. Good luck when you get new glasses.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I think the wrote a song about this statue. "Just Beat It"

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Tom: A lot of help your readers are, I'll have to work on that one.

downsie21 said...

Tom, in the late 30's and 40's the shop was owned by a family called Robbins. They sold crockery and glassware and also rented out items to caterers for wedding, funerals and other functions. Can't elaborate further.